The consistory and I are so very happy for Rev. Adriene Thorne’s dream coming true! She will bring extraordinary leadership as the Senior Minister of the First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn, as she has to Middle Church. We will miss her! Be sure to come and celebrate her on Sunday, May 8, at Middle Church.
- Jacqui Lewis
"Greetings, Middle Church Family!
As Jacqui shared with you in worship, I had a big speaking engagement this past Sunday. I preached a trial sermon at the church where I believe God is calling me to be senior pastor. I was offered the position, and I will soon follow God's call to First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn. My time of service with you will end on Sunday, May 15th--7 years 11 months and 2 weeks from the day God called me to Middle Church.
It has been an amazing journey, and you have been an amazing community to me and my family. So many of my major life and ministry events happened with and among you--ordination, marriage, and Petal's baptism. You have lovingly held my family and taught me so much.
I will miss our tea dates, Dim Sum in Chinatown, Alvin Ailey outings, and small groups. I will remember looking out at your beauty from the pulpit, sharing hugs and handshakes during passing of the peace, praying with you, and having you pray for me.
What I know for sure, and hope you never forget, is that YOU are the church and our God loves you lavishly. Although I wore the robe and stood in the pulpit, I was not then or now the focus of attention--our God is. As I prepare for my new call , I hope that you will honor our relationship in these ways:
• Pray for yourself and for one another. If you can make this a daily practice, I promise it will change your life.
• Practice forgiveness. Get a book. Get a therapist. Don't sleep on forgiveness. It's too important for your spiritual growth.
• All God's children are called--here on the planet to live out some part of God's ongoing story. Mark Twain said, "The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you figure out why." Figure out your call.
• Embrace the next pastors God will send to you. Love them, teach them, and help them to grow.
• Time, talent, and treasure are the lifeblood of God's ongoing work in the world. You must serve God and God's people with everything you've got. Volunteer at least once before June 30th. Attend Vision Sunday on May 15th to share your wisdom and gifts. Make the financial contribution that is possible for you. This is all part of being the church and you ARE the church.
I am thankful for the extraordinary ministry you have allowed me to join you in offering: to serve the hungry, care for the hurting, and extend God's radical welcome to all people. I pray that God's vision will continue to flourish wonderfully in and among you. I wish you every blessing as you do your specific part to move this community of faith into God's preferred future. You will be in my thoughts and in my prayers, and I will be grateful to be in yours.
You are loved...more than you know,
Rev. Adriene Thorne"