New Career Opening at Middle Church
These have been extraordinary times, difficult and challenging times, but we’ve survived. We’ve found a way to thrive and even to flourish, to lean on each other and the God who loves us all. We’ve learned new skills, added to our congregation some 650 fierce lovers ready to heal the world, and discovered some of what we need to move into the next phase of our existence. Immediately, we are hiring an experienced clergy person as Minister for Operations and Resource Development someone who can help our other clergy hold down the fort so Rev. Dr. Jacqui Lewis can engage the congregation and the community in the raising of a new center for our movement for love and justice. If you are curious about this, send a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The successful candidate will have at least five years of ministry or non-profit experience creating and managing budgets, supervising a team and raising funds in a culturally and ethnically diverse context.
Minister for Operations and Resource Development
Objectives: The Minister for Operations and Resource Development manages our human, financial and physical resources. As our “clients” are our congregation, this includes deepening relationships through a robust system of one-on-one care (which is in, effect, customer service); creating plans to steward and grow resources; and supervising the staff of the Community Center in order to increase revenue and widen our impact in the public square. This executive will be able to, in collaboration with the Executive team, mobilize staff and congregants to enact six overarching strategies for success: attract friends, retain members, nurture spirits, deploy activists, develop partnerships, and grow leaders ready to heal souls and the world.
Immediate Supervisor: Senior Minister in Charge
Schedule: 40–44 hours per week as scheduled.
Salary: Full-time salaried, exempt employee with benefits.
- Director of Operations and Data Management
- Director of Freedom School
- Finance consultants
- Any operations staff (security, maintenance)
- Director of Development
- Minister for Worship and Digital Community
- Minister for Church Growth and Media Strategy
Serves on the following teams:
- Executive Management
The Minister for Operations and Resource Development is on the Executive Management Team which creates and executes a comprehensive vision for ministry and programs at Middle Church, including worship, education, outreach, stewardship, justice, whole-life programs, and membership growth at Middle Church.
Care and Stewardship
- Is responsible to enlist staff and laity in the Stewardship and volunteer functions at Middle Church.
- Builds and executes a comprehensive care and visitation program that helps grow a just and generous congregation.
- Liaises with the Director of Development and the Senior Minister on the Middle Rising Campaign to rebuild a center of love, justice and the arts for Middle Church.
- Responds first to grief, death and dying, building relationships of care that lead to increased engagement with ministry; creates the on-call schedule.
- Teaches classes and holds small groups that build relationships with congregants and community.
- Preaches and leads worship as scheduled.
- Spearheads the development of a midweek worshipful experience to increase congregational engagement.
- Supervises care and stewardship data base
- Supports deacons and deacons fund
- Generates and executes campaigns that successfully raises the annual operating budget.
- Builds relationships with funders; researches and writes grants
- Staffs the Stewardship/Partnership team and supervises any consultants.
- Ensures website information, social media, bulletin, and newsletter information accurately reflect stewardship campaigns.
- Is responsible for oversight of the physical assets of Middle Church
- Supervises the Operations Team, which includes the Director of Operations and Data Management, any Community Center staff, engineers and security.
- Collaborates with Collegiate Church Operations Team, the Senior Minister, and Church Master (elder) to create a comprehensive schedule of maintenance work for the sanctuary, church house, and parsonage.
- Ensures we are insured, and appropriately attending to city and Collegiate policies.
- Grows the Middle Church Community Center.
- Develops the Freedom School for Children and Youth based on the Freedom School model of the Southern Freedom Movement.
- Supervises Director of Freedom School
- Leverages the physical plant at Middle Church for fundraising, including co-workspace, film and television shoots, weddings, concerts, etc.
- Achieves an annual revenue target through space rentals, community partnerships, film-shoots, weddings, bookings, and workspace rentals.
- Liaises with local partners—non-profits, government, police and community board, congregations, etc.—to create new shared programming in the community center at Middle Church.
- Partners with Executive team in conferences and trainings.
- Collaborates with Senior Minister and Consistory on the creation and management of the operating budget.
- Supervises the bookkeeping function and lay-leadership involved in counting/banking.
- Ensures timely reports are generated for consistory and Collegiate Church.
- Monitors the Collegiate Church Appropriation
- Thinks strategically with colleagues about all aspects of the ministry of Middle Church, always asking
- Are we attracting friends?
- Are we developing partners?
- Are we retaining members?
- Are we growing leaders?
- Are we nurturing spirits?
- Are we deploying activists?