The census isn't just a crucial political tool—it's a moral declaration: Every person counts. Every. Person. Regardless of your immigration status, gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, income, age, or ability: You count so deeply to God. And we want to make sure government counts you as well! The census is crucial for determining political representation, federal funding and more, so it's imperative that it's accurate.
Here's how you can get involved:
NY Counts 2020 Week of Action and Resources
See these great resources from NY Counts 2020’s week of action.
- Ten things YOU can do to get out the count flyer - this flyer lists 10 simple actions anyone can take to hep GOTC within their own network.
- Targeted GOTC Explainers - here you can find targeted explainers for certain groups on how they can GOTC
- See more resources such as a guide to how to host a census pop-up event, sample phone bank scripts, and sample email blurbs
Check out these Census Bureau resources for Where to Count Yourself If You Haven’t Responded Yet and Sample Drop-In Messages to Encourage Response that you can include in your emails, newsletter, flyers, on social media, and more!
Phone and Text Banking Resources
1. NYC Census: https://www.mobilize.us/nyccensus/
Emphasis on Spanish fluent volunteers!
2. National GOTC Census Counts: https://censuscounts.org/census-text-bank/.
3. Social Media Toolkit: Our Stories for Change toolkit has proved useful both for social media content and educating volunteers. This collection of digital assets is designed to be ready-made content usable for digital organizing including, social media, textbanking, paid media, and email.
Sign up for a phonebank: NYC.gov/censuscalls
Friends and Family Outreach - tools can be found here and a form you can fill out to sign-up to do friends and family outreach is here. Anyone who signs up using the form should get a follow-up call from and NYC Census field representative in the following days to check-in and provide any further assistance using these tools.
Food distribution - NYC Census is assisting New Yorkers in completing the census at emergency food distribution sites. We have an increasing number of requests and opportunities to do this and would greatly appreciate volunteer help staffing these events. The NYC Census will coordinate staff and volunteers to go to events with iPads equipped to use to collect people’s census information, and PPE for all volunteers (masks and gloves). Staff/volunteers who speak Spanish, Mandarin, and Cantonese are especially appreciated. If volunteers are willing to assist please share and fill out this form to ask colleagues to sign-up to assist us.
If you have any questions, please email Executive Minister Amanda Hambrick Ashcraft.