Advent is a time of waiting and expectation. We wait for the Messiah. We wait for the full reign of God on earth. We wait for justice and peace supreme. We wait for all LGBTQIA+ youth to be off the streets, and we wait for all children to be out of cages and detention centers. And as we wait, we join God in bringing about God’s reign on Earth now.
This Advent, Middle Church gets #InTheMiddleOfIt with God as we collect items for hygiene kits for LGBTQIA+ youth experiencing homelessness, and for crafts for children living in detention shelters in Tijuana.
*Please bring the following items to church with you on the following Sundays:
If you cannot bring something on Sunday, please email Elise Tiralli at firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate a time Monday-Thursday (10 am - 5 pm) for a drop-off of supplies until Thursday, December 12.
* We are collecting the following items for kits for LGBTQIA+ youth experiencing homelessness:
- Pouches of chicken
- Pouches of dried fruit and nuts
- Chocolate bars - high quality if possible for more nutrients
- NEW socks (MULTI/UNISEX)
- A small, new journal or notebook and a sharpie
- Travel size body wash, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, lip balm
- Sanitary supplies (tampons, pads, liners)
* We are collecting the following items for children in detention centers:
- Colored pencils
- Coloring books
- Small craft items (stickers, glue sticks, etc.)
Middle is honored to partner with Parity, a faith based organization that creates and nurtures the reconciliation of faith and gender identity for the collection of hygiene kits, and Families Belong Together, a coalition dedicated to fight family separation for the collection and delivery of crafts to children in Tijuana.
For more information, please contact Rev. Amanda Hambrick Ashcraft at email@example.com.
If you can, make plans to bring your donation on Sunday, December 8 for a special collection and dedication led by our children.