This New York City protest was part of a national day of action in response to the inhumane conditions in Trumps’ detention centers.
On Tuesday, July 2nd at 12:00 - 12:45 pm, local leaders, organizers, and activists lead protests across the country to demand the closure of inhumane immigrant detention centers that subject children and families to horrific conditions.
More than 600 activists gathered at the front steps of Middle Collegiate Church for the #CloseTheCamps Rally, organized by the ACLU, United We Dream, Families Belong Together, Move On and Middle Collegiate Church. Speakers and performers included:
- Rev. Jacqui Lewis, Ph.D., Senior Minister, Middle Collegiate Church, Activist, Author
- Jess Morales Rocketto - Executive Director, Families Belong Together
- Deyanira Aldana: United We Dream
- Drea Herrera, New York Civil Liberties Union
- Tony Choi - Immigrant Rights Activist and Organizer
- Resistance Revival Chorus
Following this protest, activists are encouraged to attend the Lights for Liberty Rally on July 12, 7 pm in Foley Square. More information on this action is available on the Lights for Liberty website.
Protesters are also asked to call on members of Congress to close the camps, refuse to authorize any more funding for family detention and deportation, and visit detention camps to bear witness to the atrocities being committed.
These conditions are the product of a cruel and intentional strategy by the Trump administration to terrorize immigrant communities, criminalize immigration, and dismantle our asylum laws. From imprisoning children in inhumane detention centers, threatening widespread raids to break up families, and covering up reports of migrants dying in U.S. custody, we must come together to permanently end family detention and separation, ensure all families are reunited, and close the camps.
Here are some resources, next steps, and upcoming actions:
- Call your Member of Congress asking them to #CloseTheCamps at 202-255-3121.
- Text CAMPS to 668366 to receive updates & next steps
- Join us on Friday, July 12th 7:00 PM in Foley Square, NYC: Lights 4 Liberty Vigil to End Human Detention Camps
- Sign up to receive Middle Church’s “Ready to March” email.
- Volunteer with New Sanctuary Coalition
Stay connected to the organizers /organizations represented at the rally on Instagram:
- Move On: @moveon
- Families Belong Together: @famstogether
- United We Dream: @unitedwedream
- The Resistance Revival Chorus: @resistancerevivalchorus
- NYCLU: @nyclu
- Reverend Jacqui Lewis, PhD: @revjacquilewis
- Middle Collegiate Church: @middlechurch
- Tony Choy: @tonykchoi
- Reverend Amanda Hambrick Ashcraft: @raisingimagination
- Sarah Sophie Flicker: @sarahsophief
- Jess Morales Rocketto: @Jesslivmo
For more information on justice initiatives at Middle Church, please contact Rev. Amanda Hambrick Ashcraft at email@example.com.
In the News:
Close the Camps Protest (Awake Storytelling, July 2, 2019)
'Close the Camps': NYC Joins Protests of Border Conditions (Patch, July 2, 2019)
'Close the camps': New Yorkers demand an end to immigrant detention centers (amNewYork, July 2, 2019)
'Close the camps!': Protesters call for shut down of migrant detention centers (Washington Post YouTube, July 2, 2019)
NYC Close the Camps Protest, (Fox 5, July 2, 2019)
Protesters Demand the Closure of immigrant detention centers (ABC7, July 2, 2019)
Public Pressure On Border Officials Grows As Donald Trump Stokes Cruelty (MSNBC, Rachel Maddow, July 2, 2019)
Now! New Yorkers are out to protest Trump’s policies and inhumane treatment of migrant children and families. (Gili Getz Twitter, July 2, 2019)
'Un-American’: New York rally demands Trump close child asylum centres (France 24, July 2, 2019)