Stop AAPI Hate
Racism is public desecration. God loves Asian and Pacific Islander people, and weeps at rising anti-Asian violence: Each racist attack tears what God created, blessed and named good. We mourn with the Asian community in the wake of the heinous terrorism in Atlanta: We must name and uproot this evil. And it’s doubly despicable that this present wave of violence was stoked by bigoted government officials who have erroneously blamed Asian people for COVID-19; betrayal by the very people who are supposed to keep us safe. At Middle Church, we know that we are all responsible for fighting hatred in every form, and we are committed to standing with our Asian congregants, neighbors and friends to eradicate this evil. We love you! We are you! You are not alone. We are here for all of us.
Additionally, please consider attending an upcoming training via Zoom with Hollaback!:Bystander Intervention to Stop Anti-Asian/American Harassment and Xenophobia. This online training will teach registrants Hollaback!’s 5D’s of bystander intervention methodology.
If you would like to get involved in Middle’s NYC Justice efforts, please email Elise Tiralli. And consult the list below for other ways you can get involved.
Self-Defense & Support Resources:
- Soar Over Hate – https://www.soaroverhate.org/
Provides self-defense items and free therapy to victims of anti-Asian hate crimes
- Creative CAAre with Asian American Arts Alliance – https://www.aaartsalliance.org/events/creative-caare-sustaining-your-mental-health-artistic-practice
Creative CAAre: Sustaining Your Mental Health & Artistic Practice is a series of free workshops centering Asian American creatives, artists, and cultural workers in Chinatown, Manhattan and Flushing, Queens. Our vision is to create a safe space to care for your creativity and your mental health, with the support of community care. You will learn body awareness, somatic care techniques, and creative ways to care for your wellbeing.
- Virtual Training Series with Asian American Federation: Protecting Ourselves & Our Communities
- Asian American Federation’s Community Safety Program – https://www.aafederation.org/community-safety-program/
Volunteer to keep our Asian siblings safe
- SafeWalks NYC – https://linktr.ee/safewalks
SafeWalks is a community safety initiative providing accompaniment for New Yorkers who would like a SafeWalk to their subway station, or wherever they need to go. In the spirit of “We Keep Us Safe”, SafeWalks is all about safety through community and presence: we importantly are not about vigilante-ism, policing, and neighborhood watches/patrols. You can volunteer to help, or request venmo/in-person SafeWalk support
A list of organizations, reading material, and events on AAPI Justice and against anti-Asian hate
- General GoFundMe + links to individual causes: https://www.gofundme.com/c/act/stop-aapi-hate
- Care services for elders:
- Chinatown Senior Center: (212) 233-8930, email@example.com
- Korean American Senior Citizens Society of Greater New York: (718) 886-8203
- Open Door Senior Center: (212) 431-9026
- Department For the Aging: (212) 442-1100
- Reporting Anti-Asian hate
- Community-led organizations
- Help for AAPI small businesses
- Send Chinatown Love Link-tree: https://linktr.ee/sendchinatownlove
- Longevity Fund: https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campaign/the-longevity-fund-welcome-to-chinatown-small-business-relief-fund
- Small business spreadsheet: https://chinatown.nyc/
- For LGBTQ+ AAPI
- Mental health services