scripture notes for July 24 2022

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    CatherineTorpey
    Participant

To those who read these before our Bible in the Middle, I apologize that I’m only sending this just before we meet!

Jacqui is preaching “If We Take This Prayer Seriously…”

The prayer she’s referring to is what we generally call The Lord’s Prayer. Our scripture is Luke 11:1-13, where “a certain disciple” asks Jesus how to pray. So we’ll read how Jesus replies.

The Lord’s Prayer is also found at Matthew 6:9-13. The contexts are different. In Matthew, it is a part of the group of teachings that we call “The Sermon on the Mount,” because Jesus went up to a “mountain” to teach the large crowd. No one asks him how to pray in Matthew; rather, it is a direct contrast to the haughty and elaborate prayers of the gentiles. In Matthew, Jesus says that we should pray simply, because God already knows what we need.

In Luke, Jesus shares this prayer in response to a request for guidance. Something a bit remarkable to me is that this request comes just after the huge success of the 70 (or 72 – texts vary) whom Jesus had sent out as an advance team to prepare people to hear his message. They all came back with tales of having healed many, saying to Jesus upon their return, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!”

The two versions of the prayer differ a little. Luke’s is more spare. According to David Bentley Hart, some versions of ancient texts have altered Luke’s version to bring it more into alignment with Matthew’s.

Matthew’s version (NIV):
    Our Father in heaven,
    hallowed be your name,
    your kingdom come,
    your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us today our daily bread.
    And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from the evil one.

Luke’s version (NIV):
    Father,
    hallowed be your name,
    your kingdom come.
    Give us each day our daily bread.
    Forgive us our sins,
    for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.
    And lead us not into temptation.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.